Thursday, June 7, 2012

Getting back...on the trails.

So, its been awhile since I've written. Honestly, I haven't had much time to blog. I haven't had much time to cache, either.
So I took some days off this week, and decided to get out and do some things. Unfortunately, mother nature has not been cooperative so far this week. Yesterday looked to be a decent day to go out and do something.
I decided, a bit after 2pm that the weather looked like it was going to hold. So, I went off to do a series of caches on a trail called BSLS (Brookfield State Land Series).
My first stop, was a tucked away cemetery, where I met a DEC officer, and he gave me some interesting insight into the hidden gem. After I made my way onward, it looked like mother nature was going to try and get me to go home. Determined, I figured I could outlast a bit of rain here and there. What followed was intense rain, hail, lightning, and a crazy shift in the weather that was sunny just moments earlier.
I missed a couple, but completed the series for the most part. Its nice to have a 4x4 now. I wouldn't think of taking on a series based off seasonal truck trails in a car, especially in the weather I wound up in yesterday.

It got me thinking though, some of the more interesting times I've had, were while doing some sort of "trail". I've done a science based trail (which I should finish up someday), a Greek God based hiking trail, and now a state forest road based trail. The concept of a trail is a good one: Take people somewhere interesting, and give them a reward (in these cases, another cache), to keep going. Both of the hiking trails were tough going, but tested me physically. The driving trail was fun, and would have been relaxing if not for the weather.

I wish there were more cache trails here in NY. I think they are a lot of fun, but require a lot of effort to set up. I think I would get into hiking more, and getting more exercise if there were some trails for that. Hiking alone isn't interesting enough for me. But, add in the reward of caching while hiking, and it becomes interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment