Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Finding this thing called, "Balance" in Geocaching.

Next goal, balance.

There is something to be said for numbers. But you can't measure success by numbers alone. I could have 1000 finds, but if getting there didn't do anything for me, other than add to my tally, it isn't worth it. Some finds are just a number. They aren't hidden in any scenic spot, aren't a creative hide, and aren't really challenging. Not everything is going to be a hit. Not everything a CO hides is going to win tons of favorite points, and that's ok. Some are hidden just to be hidden.

Some caches though, are meant to be seen. Obviously, not the "container" itself. That defeats the purpose. But there are a lot of places I've found in the last week or so, that remind me that the game isn't about the numbers for me. Its nice to add a point to the tally. But what really makes it worthwhile for me, is sticking to my original ideas. Get out of the house. Get some exercise. See interesting things. I have to now, figure out a way to combine the above, with Geocaching. Enter Miller's Mills Bridge, and Mr. Science's cache "trail".

The cache trail, in Cooperstown NY, is a loop of caches designed by one person, in a science frame of mind. He is quite a character, and has a great sense of humor. But I started the cache trail, and haven't finished it yet. Why? I'm out of shape. I'm not overweight, in fact I'm probably just the opposite. I made it through half the trail and had to call it a day. Hiking is still a new experience for me. Even walking this far is new to me. Even though I haven't finished it, yet, it was a good test. Me, my trekking pole, and a test of myself. I was sore for 3 days after this. But the experience was worth the test of my limits. I now know where my limits are. And, I intend on breaking through those physical limits through finding caches. Finding a cache, at the end of a long hike, is like a reward. I get a lot of exercise, and at the end, a treasure (of sorts). I need to do more of these.

Millers Mills Bridge is the polar opposite of the cache trail. Its a park and grab nano cache. Easy to find. I had to drive a long ways from home to get there. But this type of cache isn't gone after for a workout, or just a number on a logsheet. The view from that little one lane bridge in the middle of nowhere, out over Unadilla Lake was worth the drive. This type of cache is placed to bring people to see something. Its not about the difficulty, the terrain, or the swag-swapping potential. Its all about the view. I could have just signed the log and went. But you just don't do that to places like this. So, this is about the other part of the balance I need. I will remember this cache, long after I've forgotten about the quick park and grabs in the middle of the night. This is part of the fun caching with a smartphone, that some traditonal GPSr users might forget about. Having a camera in my hands, capable of shooting great 5MP high res still shots, or even 1080i HD video makes visiting places like this much more fun.

Which brings me to yet another goal. (I have quite a few, now that I think about it as a mental "to-do" list.) I do want to get a GPSr. The main caveat with a smartphone is battery life, and not being rugged. Both of which have hindered my ability to trek to places. But that will come in time. My car has racked up so many miles since I started this adventure, and needs some serious attention. I can still cache with a smartphone, but I'm dead in the water without a car. So the monetary priority is transportation. Especially, since without a steady job, none of this would be possible, either. Driving 300 miles a week just for work is a lot. Add in all the places and miles I've gone on my adventures, and the poor girl is way past 140,000 right now, but still reliable. I just want to make sure (preventative maintenance, ya know) that she continues to stay that way. And maybe I can save a little bit to put down on a truck payment. Rachel may be able to get me quite a ways on good roads (and even up some truck trails and fields), but snow is not her playing field. And, I plan on continuing this adventure through the colder months.

I suppose that's all I have for now. I'll probably post back after I hit 100. I'm saving a special "nemesis" of sorts for that #100. I drive by it every day, and in my earlier days could not find it, and had abandoned searching out of frustration. It nagged me every time I would pass by, to work, from work, 5 times a week. Making it the #100 would be a sweet victory, and remind me everyday of what I have been capable of. A constant reminder, that my life is no longer a "work-home-sleep-work" rut. Its a hide near a very large, visible object, right by the road that you can't help but notice. If I can make that my 100, it will be much more than a number, but a victory that was many caches, many mistakes, and a lot of learning curve in the finding. And I see it almost every day. I can't think of anything more fitting. Worth much more than a number on a log, a souvenir coin, or even a photo can represent.

No comments:

Post a Comment